he University of Coimbra is one of the oldest universities in the world still in operation, being the oldest and one of the largest in the country. Comprising 3 centers, 8 colleges and 18 museums, the institution also has the Botanical Garden and the University Stadium of Coimbra.
Its history dates back to the century following the founding of the Portuguese nation, since it was created on March 1, 1290, when King D. Dinis I signed the document Scientiae thesaurus mirabilis in Leiria, creating the university, which it was brokered and confirmed by the Pope. Definitely settled in the city of Coimbra in 1537, seven years later all of its faculties were installed in the old Royal Palace of Alcáçova.
It is an 18th century library located in the Paço das Escolas of the University of Coimbra, in the courtyard of the Faculty of Law of the University of Coimbra.
It presents a markedly Baroque style, being recognized as one of the most original and spectacular European Baroque libraries. In addition to the research location of many scholars, the space is still frequently used for concerts, exhibitions and other cultural events.
In 2013, the British newspaper The Telegraph, considered the Joanine Library as "the most spectacular in the world". Due to the strong need for preservation, in 2014 the Library joined the World Monuments Watch biennial list.
t is one of the most important Romanesque buildings in the country. Its construction started sometime after the Battle of Ourique (1139), when Afonso Henriques declared himself king of Portugal and chose Coimbra as the capital of the kingdom. D. Sesnando, count of Coimbra, is buried in the Cathedral.
Pedestrian Walk Historic Center
Convent of Santa Clara
After the canonization of Santa Isabel in 1625, the Monastery of Santa Clara a Nova began to be built in 1649, by order of D. João IV, on the left bank of the River Mondego, destined to receive the Poor Clares of the Monastery of Santa Clara- a-Velha, according to the plan of the chief engineer of the kingdom and professor at the University of Coimbra, Frei João Torriano.
In 1677, in a large procession from the old Monastery, the body of Queen Santa Isabel was transferred, having been placed in a silver tomb on the high altar. The Church, in turn, was built by the architect Mateus do Couto. In the great apse that forms the head, is the polychrome statue of Santa Isabel, by Teixeira Lopes (19th century).
Note the baroque gilded carvings and the paintings alluding to the Franciscan saints, from the 19th century. XVIII. The beautiful original Gothic tomb of Queen Santa Isabel is found in the low choir as well as altarpieces from Santa Clara a Velha, in carved and mannerist paintings. Next to the church and choir, is the largest cloister in Portugal, after that of the Cartuxa de Santa Maria Scala Coeli.
veiro is a city on the Portuguese west coast founded by a lagoon known as Ria de Aveiro. It is distinguished by its channels navigated by colorful boats (moliceiro boats), traditionally used for harvesting algae.
Not far from the center, known for its art nouveau style buildings, is the Aveiro Cathedral, with its prominent bell tower. The Aveiro Museum, located in an old convent, has an extravagant tomb made of marble.
he Church and Torre dos Clérigos (18th century) is a remarkable architectural complex located in the city of Porto, Portugal, being considered the ex-libris of that city. It comprises three main elements: the Clérigos Church, the Clérigos Tower and the Casa da Irmandade, which connects the church and the tower and once hosted the other services of the Brotherhood of Clerics.
Designed by architect Nicolau Nasoni, this ensemble is one of the most notable examples of the late Baroque style in Portuguese territory. It is considered Nasoni's most emblematic work, incorporating, in granite ornamentation, "a dynamic Rococo morphology alongside lines of vernacular continuity, if not epimaneirista". The most striking architectural elements in the ensemble are characterized by the irregularity and exaggeration of shapes, which give rise to a surprising scenic effect.
"The irregular plants stand out, the wavy facades, highlighted by a contrast of projections, balconies and recesses, interrupted arches, and a great profusion of varied windows, complemented by the exuberant bell tower". Nasoni was buried in this church, in which he invested a lot of time and dedication, having been revealed, in the recent extensive rehabilitation, a crypt where his grave can be found.
Due to its unique historical and artistic value, Lello has been recognized as one of the most beautiful bookstores in the world by several personalities and entities, such as the Spanish writer Enrique Vila-Matas, the British newspaper The Guardian and the Australian publisher of travel guides. Lonely Planet travel.
Café Majestic is a historic cafe located on Rua de Santa Catarina, in the city of Porto, in Portugal. Its relevance stems both from the cultural ambience that surrounds it, namely the tradition of social coffee, where several personalities from the city's cultural and artistic life met, as well as from its Art Nouveau architecture.
In 2011, it was considered the sixth most beautiful coffee in the world. Inaugurated on December 17, 1921, under the name "Elite", the café, located at 112 of Rua de Santa Catarina, was immediately associated with a certain frequency of people different from the time. One of those present at the inauguration was aviator pilot Gago Coutinho, who had just arrived from a trip to the island of Madeira, and who was enchanted by the splendor of the Art Nouveau decoration.
ts construction started in the first half of the 12th century and lasted until the beginning of the 13th century. This first building, in Romanesque style, has undergone many changes over the centuries.
From the Romanesque period, the general character of the facade dates back to the towers and the beautiful rose window, in addition to the body of the three-nave church covered by a cannon vault.
The vault of the central nave is supported by flying buttresses, the Sé do Porto being one of the first Portuguese buildings in which this architectural element was used.
The Sé do Porto still conserves traces of the primitive Romanesque building built between the 1st half of the 12th century and the beginning of the 19th century. XIII. The church-fortress aspect with a façade flanked by two towers and the beautiful rose window on the main façade stands out. It underwent changes in the Mannerist and Baroque periods. The Gothic cloister is from the time of King João I, the king who celebrated the spousal in this cathedral.
Port Wine Cellars in Vila Nova de Gaia
Wine tasting and tasting (Sandeman and / or Cálem)