he National Sanctuary of Cristo Rei is located at an altitude of 133 meters above the level of the Tagus, consisting of a portico designed by the architect António Lino, with 75 meters in height, surmounted by the statue of the Most Holy Redeemer with open arms facing the city of Lisbon, 28 meters high, by the Portuguese sculptor Francisco Franco de Sousa.
The pedestal, including the portico, rises to 82 meters in height. This monument is the best viewpoint overlooking the city of Lisbon, offering a wide view over the capital and over the 25 de Abril Bridge.
It is one of the tallest buildings in Portugal, 110 meters high. The first stone of the monument's construction was laid on December 18, 1949. It was inaugurated on May 17, 1959.
Castle of Palmela
he primitive human occupation of the region dates back to prehistory, particularly to the Neolithic period, according to the archaeological testimonies abundant in it. Some scholars point to the date 310 BC, for the foundation of a village on the site of today's Palmela,
fortified at the time of the Romanization of the Iberian Peninsula, in 106, by a praetor of Lusitânia, name Áulio Cornélio (or Áulio Cornélio Palma, according to others). Modern archaeological research proves, however, that the subsequent occupation of its site was uninterrupted, initially by Visigoths and, later, by Muslims, the latter responsible for the primitive fortification, between the 8th and 9th centuries, greatly expanded between the 10th and the XII.
The medieval castle: At the time of the Christian Reconquest of the Iberian Peninsula, after the conquest of Lisbon (1147) by the forces of D. Afonso Henriques (1112-1185), Sintra, Almada and Palmela fell in the same year. On that occasion, the Muslim forces that defended Palmela, abandoned her, going to take refuge in Alcácer do Sal. In this way, the Portuguese forces only took over the village and its domains. The Muslim forces, however, soon reorganized, recovering the south bank of the Tagus River. The Christians won Palmela back in 1158. Again lost, it was definitively conquered by the sovereign on June 24, 1165. From the following year, reinforcement works were undertaken.
Castle of Sesimbra
he primitive human occupation of this coastal stretch dates back to prehistory, conditioned by the existence of large estuaries, the fertility of the land and the wealth of fishing. In historical times, the Sesimbra cove would have served as a natural anchorage for navigators of the Mediterranean Sea, Phoenicians, Greeks and Carthaginians.
Subsequently, archaeological remains of ceramics are testimonies of Romanization, in particular amphorae, coins and graves, part of this estate in the castle area. Successively occupied by Visigoths and Muslims, they will have built the original fortification.
The medieval castle: At the time of the Christian Reconquest of the Iberian Peninsula, after the conquest of Lisbon (1147) the possession of this region fluctuated between Muslims and Christians. Weakly furnished, the fortification of Sesimbra was initially taken by the forces of D. Afonso Henriques (1112-1185) on February 21, 1165, who carried out repairs and reinforcements in the defenses. The conquest of the Castle of Silves in 1189 by the forces of D. Sancho I (1185-1211), gave rise to a Muslim counter-offensive that resulted not only in the loss of Silves but also in much of the Alentejo region, up to the left bank of the Tagus River . The inhabitants of Sesimbra, alerted by the fall of Alcácer do Sal and weakened by the plague that then raged in the kingdom, abandoned the settlement, which was thus occupied and razed by the forces of the Almohad caliph Iacube Almançor (1191). D. Sancho I (1185-1211) repossessed this settlement around 1200 with the help of Crusaders from Northern Europe (then generically called Francs), to whom he offered land for colonization. On August 15, 1201, the sovereign granted the village a Charter of Charter, ordering it to rebuild the castle "from the foundations". This charter was confirmed by his son and successor, Afonso II of Portugal (1211-1223).
Serra da Arrábida
he Serra da Arrábida is one of the most beautiful protected areas in Portugal. Here you can find fantastic deserted beaches, between the blue of the sea and the green of the mountains, and stunning views that stretch for tens of kilometers.
Portinho da Arrábida
ocated in the natural park of the Serra da Arrábida, the portinho beach is one of the most beautiful in Portugal. Its white and fine sands and the varied shades of blue of the clear waters of the ocean, contrast with the green tones of the mountains, forming a beautiful scenery that invites rest and contemplation.
The Sado Estuary Nature Reserve has other attractions. Be it dolphins or the fact that it is a special birdwatching spot, with more than 250 species that can be seen. Moinho de Maré da Mourisca is one of the best places to do this.
City of Setúbal
he city of Setúbal is inserted in the so-called Costa Azul, it is an important port and commerce area. One of its main activities is undoubtedly fishing and it is increasingly sought after by tourists, who find in the city and its surroundings, excellent routes to discover.
With a pleasantly maintained historic center, traditional shops flank pedestrian streets that lead us to a friendly avenue, which offers a huge and refreshing garden.
Located on the River Sado, the city offers the visitor the best and freshest fish and seafood.
The Serra da Arrábida or a boat trip to the Troia Peninsula are two destinations not to be missed.
Wineries (Wine Tasting)